Chilli Chaap is a popular Indian Chinese dish that is loved by many. This delicious recipe is a perfect blend of spicy, tangy, and savory flavors that are sure to satisfy your taste buds. In this article, we will discuss the history of Chilli Chaap, the ingredients required to make this dish, and the step-by-step procedure to prepare it.
History of Chilli Chaap:
Chilli Chaap is a popular dish in Indian Chinese cuisine that originated in Kolkata. The dish is believed to have been created in the 19th century when Chinese immigrants came to Kolkata and introduced their cuisine to the local people. Over time, the locals began to experiment with the Chinese flavors, and Chilli Chaap was born. Today, the dish has become a staple in Indian Chinese restaurants across the country and is loved by people of all ages.
To make Chilli Chaap, you will need the following ingredients:
- 500 grams of boneless chicken thighs or breasts
- 2 tablespoons of cornflour
- 2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon of garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon of ginger paste
- 1 teaspoon of red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon of soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon of vinegar
- 1 teaspoon of green chili sauce
- 1 teaspoon of red chili sauce
- Salt to taste
- Oil for frying
- 1 medium-sized onion, chopped
- 1 medium-sized capsicum, chopped
- 1 tablespoon of cornflour dissolved in 1/4 cup of water
- Spring onion greens for garnishing
- Cut the chicken into small pieces and marinate them with cornflour, all-purpose flour, garlic paste, ginger paste, red chili powder, soy sauce, vinegar, green chili sauce, and red chili sauce. Add salt to taste and mix well. Let it marinate for 30 minutes.
- Heat oil in a wok or frying pan and fry the marinated chicken pieces until they are golden brown and crispy. Remove the chicken pieces from the pan and set them aside.
- In the same pan, add chopped onions and capsicum and stir-fry them for 2-3 minutes until they are slightly softened.
- Add the fried chicken pieces to the pan and mix well with the vegetables.
- Add the cornflour dissolved in water to the pan and mix well. This will thicken the sauce and give it a nice texture.
- Cook the chicken and vegetable mixture for another 2-3 minutes until the sauce is well-coated and the vegetables are cooked.
- Garnish the Chilli Chaap with spring onion greens and serve hot with rice or noodles.
Chilli Chaap is a delicious and flavorful Indian Chinese dish that is easy to make at home. This dish is perfect for a quick and easy weeknight dinner or for entertaining guests. With its spicy, tangy, and savory flavors, Chilli Chaap is sure to be a hit with your family and friends. So, give this recipe a try and enjoy the delicious flavors of Chilli Chaap!